Monday, February 6, 2012

Cymatics and Synesthesia

I'm not sure if this counts as synesthesia, but I have always imagined numbers in my head with certain colors attached to them.  For instance, 1 is green, 2 is purple, 3 is yellow, 4 is blue, 5 is pinkish orange.  Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure that does count as synesthesia, but cymatics seems to be a much more compelling and artistic version of synesthesia.  I was a bit disappointed when I saw how cool it was to look at the sounds of the Pink Floyd song and the frame of the classical song, because it seems artists try so hard to get sounds and images to line up, but nothing works as good as getting the actual images that a sound physically makes through a machine.  I also really liked the images that I have found that use liquid in cymatics. Something about a pattern of vibrations in liquid that go along with a sound that is kind of hypnotizing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment