Monday, February 20, 2012

Sowndz

In the acoustic ecology article, I was definitely reminded of little attention I pay to the sounds of nature and the sounds of humans that block out the natural ones.  I remember being in Markowski's recording class and we had "Soundscape" assignments...Markowski would tell us to listen real hard in the natural environment ones, because of their were cars or people audible in the background, you weren't deep enough into a natural sound environment.  Actually being able to find a place like that is surprisingly difficult.

I had to chuckle a bit when I read the comment from the sound-obsessed guy who said not enough is being done to conserve environmental sound, because my instant response was 'wellll, our human expansion (cities machines cars and all that) isn't just louder than the environment.  It kills a lot of stuff in the environment.  Maybe it's getting harder to hear deer footsteps because we're running over all the deer with our SUV's.'

I see where the guy's coming from, it just sounds funny when you view a problem like that from a strictly-sound perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment